Friday Fun Day and the weekend are just around the corner! While leadership may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of fun and games, there’s actually a lot in common between leadership and one of the most classic playground games: tag.
In this article, we’re going to explore how leadership is a lot like a game of tag and why it’s important to have a little fun in your leadership style.
- You’re “It” – A Lot: As a leader, you’re constantly “it.” You’re responsible for setting the tone and direction of your team, and you’re always the one who has to take the lead. Just like in a game of tag, being “it” can be exhausting, but it’s also an important part of the game.
- You Need a Good Strategy: Just like in a game of tag, you need a good strategy as a leader. You need to be able to anticipate your team’s needs and be proactive in your leadership style. You need to know where your team is going and have the plan to get there.
- It’s All About Communication: Communication is key in both tag and leadership. Just like in a game of tag, you need to be able to communicate with your team effectively. You need to be able to give clear directions and provide feedback in a way that is constructive and helpful.
- You Need to be Quick on Your Feet: In both tag and leadership, you need to be quick on your feet. You need to be able to adapt to changing situations and be flexible in your leadership style. You need to be able to think on your feet and make decisions quickly.
- It’s Important to Have Fun: Most importantly, both tag and leadership should be fun! While leadership can be a serious business, it’s important to have a little fun along the way. Just like in a game of tag, taking the time to enjoy the moment and have a little fun can make all the difference in your leadership style.
Game of Tag
If you’re interested in learning more about the game of tag, there are a few resources you might find helpful:
- This article from wikiHow provides a simple overview of how to play tag, including basic rules, variations on the game, and tips for playing with a group. How to Play Tag: https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Tag
- This resource from Verywell Family provides a list of tag games that are specifically designed for kids. The games range from simple variations on traditional tag to more complex games that require teamwork and strategy. Tag Games for Kids: https://www.verywellfamily.com/tag-games-for-kids-1257170
- This video from the YouTube channel Dude Perfect features a group of friends playing what they claim is “the world’s best game of tag.” While it’s not exactly a tutorial, it’s a fun and entertaining look at a group of friends having fun with the game of tag. The World’s Best Game of Tag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu-Z7BZzv_M
These resources should give you a good starting point if you’re interested in learning more about the game of tag.
While leadership may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of fun and games, there’s actually a lot in common between leadership and a game of tag. From being “it” all the time to having a good strategy and being quick on your feet, there are a lot of parallels between the two. But most importantly, both tag and leadership should be fun. So, take a moment to enjoy the ride and have a little fun along the way!